Wednesday 23 December 2015

Rollasoc's Top Ten albums 2015 - Part 3

So I lied, it is the same length as last year, just in a different order.

Back to the list

5 - Bruce Soord - 

The Pineapple Thief front man has released an album of lighter tunes, from the recent TPT and Wisdom of Crowds albums.   Slightly reminiscent of the acoustic bonus TPT albums with hints of The smashing pumpkins in places.  It hasn't been out long, else it might have been higher on my list.







Starting to worry the Bruce and his various bands keep getting higher on my recent lists than the prpg god that is Steven Wilson.



4. Heidi Browne - White Rabbits

Local Shropshire musician and winner of the UKs 2014's open mic competition, Heidicame back with her third album.   Autocannibal is one of my favourite tunes of the year.  The title track is also great. 


3. Of Monsters & Men - Beneath the skin..

E got me into those after writing a bit of tune with a tom groove.   He said he'd been listening to Of monsters and men and felt inspired. So he played me Crystals.

I have probably listened to this once a day since I got the album (other than weekends).

We also went to see them last month.  


Plus one of their tunes was used in the trailer for the excellent Jessica Jones series.   Rumour has it, they have a part in the next season of Game of Thrones.


2 Vennart -The Demon Joke.

Anyone who knows me, should know, I am a massive Oceansize fan.   It was a sad day in the Rollasoc household when they split. 

But Mike Vennart is back after his stint as touring guitarist for Biffy Clyro with a new album, with two ex Oceansize members, Gambler and Mr Durose. 



"Operate" is probably my favourite tune of 2015.   E wasn't impressed when I took his Of Monsters and Men verse tom groove songs and bolted in the drums from "Operate" for the chorus.  Trust me it was epic.


Now "Don't forget the joker" when it was previewed before the album was released, did worry me.  It wasn't until it was heard in context with the rest of the album, that I started liking it.

So the album is part beauty, part filth.  Which was exactly what was expected and it didn't disapoint.


1. Paper Aeroplanes - Joy

Now along with Vennart, I seem to have signed copies of both these albums.

It was really hard to pick between Vennart and Paper Aeroplanes, given I listen to each of them most days.








But I think Paper Aeroplanes just inch it, possibly since I managed to catch them live in Shrewsbury earlier in the year, possibly since it has been out a little longer and has managed to stay in my consciousness for longer, possibly due to the beauty and quality of songs like Emily, race you home and Guessing game.  

It is a beautiful album.

So there is my list of top ten albums for 2015.   

Got one last top tip for 2016

Beth Prior -  Debut album out in January 2015.  Little Acts of Kindness




Have a happy Christmas and see you in the new Year.  (or tommorrow if you read the blog, for the year's round up).




No comments:

Post a Comment